Tuesday, October 14, 2014

On Contradicting Priorities

For almost two weeks now, I've been making my way south from New Jersey with the ultimate goal of going to California. The purpose for this trip is to move in with my parents, since I lost my job and haven't been able to find a new one. I'll be in Atlanta by this time next week after visiting with a few more friends, and then I'll join up with my dad for the trip west.

Moving in with my parents just in time for my 31st birthday isn't exactly what I would have liked, but this road trip with my dad has its appeal, and I've been spending time with friends that have been dear to me for years. Which is why it's difficult to remember the ultimate priority behind this trip: To find a job.

It's not that I don't want a job, because I do. I've found some great postings and I'm very excited about them. But it is challenging to balance interviews with traveling and visiting. "Hey there pal, thanks for letting me stay with you in the middle of your work week and letting you cook for me since I have literally no money, even for groceries. Mind if I lock myself in my room for an hour or so tomorrow so I can try to get a job?" Don't get me wrong, people are understanding and encouraging of whatever it takes for me to get a job, but I feel rather rude.

I've been able to conduct most interviews over the telephone, FaceTime or Skype, but some people are already asking me to come in person. This means I could end up, somewhere on this trip with my dad, getting dropped off at an airport to fly somewhere else for an interview, then meeting up with him again in a location to be determined--maybe the same city I left him at, maybe something a little further down the road.

The really tough part about it is the transition of it all. Maybe I was wrong to do such a long, extended trip. I'm not really living anywhere, no longer in New Jersey but not yet in California. Everything is still so unsettled, and it's difficult to judge the best decision when you are without a center.

No comments:

Post a Comment